|09-05-2004, 01:54 AM||#1 (permalink)|
U.S. Marine ( FAST )
Join Date: Sep 2004
MISSION- Maintain readiness of the 82d Airborne Division by preserving the ability to deploy anywhere in the world in 18 hours by either an airborne or airland assault. Train selected personnel in Jumpmaster, Air Movement and Basic Airborne Techniques. Advise and assist unit Commanders in the evaluation of Jumpmasters and Air Movement Officers/NCOs.
History of AAS
The Advanced Airborne School was started in 1947, it was then known as the "Heavy Drop School". The school operated as a three-day course in which techniques of heavy drop were taught. In 1949 the school closed and opened again in May 1950, this time with the Jumpmaster Course integrated into the school. The course taught was a one-week course in Air delivery and a one-week course in Jumpmaster techniques. In June 1950, plans were approved to construct a 34-foot jump tower on Pratt Street. This greatly improved techniques taught by the Jumpmaster committee, since newer equipment was being introduced into the Airborne. This school operated until 1954 when the Basic Airborne Course was started. At this time, more acreage was obtained and also two new 34 foot towers were constructed along with PLF platforms, suspended harness apparatus, mockdoors, swing landing trainers and general subjects shed.
The Jumpmaster, Air Delivery and a new course that had been added to the school (a one-week course on Air Transportability) did not come under one headquarters. They operated as the Basic Airborne Committee and the Advanced Airborne Committee until 1958, when both were combined into a unit known as 3rd Augmentation Unit (Abn) (Fld) under the control of Command and Control Battalion.
In January 1962, the Basic Airborne course was moved to Fort Benning, Georgia along with all equipment and most of the BAC Instructors. At the same time, the DISCOM area is where the Advanced Airborne School was constructed, giving the Advanced Airborne School newer and better training aids.
In 1967, with upgraded aircraft and equipment, another change was made in the courses conducted. At this time, the Air Delivery and Air Transportability courses combined into one course known as "Air Movement Operations". This course was two weeks in duration. The Jumpmaster course was also changed from a one-week course to a two-week course. The Advanced Airborne School could accommodate 50 students in the Air Movement course and 60 in the Jumpmaster course.
In April 1982, with better equipment and newer technology more changes were made in the course conducted. The AMC Load Planners class which is taught as part of the Air Movement Course, was expanded from two and half days to one week, thus creating a new three week Air Movement course, producing better qualified unit Air Movements Officer/NCO. Additionally beginning in FY 83, the Jumpmaster Course was expanded from a seating capacity of 60 students to 70 students per course.
In October of 1983 the Advanced Airborne School Cadre was increased from 1 and 19 to 1 and 24 in order to accommodate a new program, MC1-1B reinforcement training. This course was designed to better familiarize the new paratrooper in the proper techniques applicable to the MC1-1B parachute.
In December of 1991, the AAS cadre accepted the first instructors from the XVIII Airborne Corps. Upon completion of their training the JM class size was increased from 70 to 80 students with the additional slots going the XVIII Airborne Corps students. SGT J.J. Little was the first instructor from XVIII Airborne Corps.
In June of 1992 the first female instructor, SGT Genota Brown, became a Blackhat. She served as an instructor on the AMO Committee.
In March 1994, the United States Army Air Force certified the Air Movement Operations Committee to teach the Load Planners course. The Air Movement course was then increased to 13 days with all aspects of Air Movement being taught at the Advanced Airborne School.
In November 1994, the DZSTL procedures were added to Jumpmaster School. This enabled the 82d Airborne Division to certify it's Jumpmasters to serve in all aspects of Airborne Operations.
March of 1995, the first female Jumpmaster Instructor was SFC Jan Garcia. SFC Garcia had served as a Platoon Sergeant in the Aviation Brigade prior to earning her Black Hat.
In October 1994 the Jumpmaster Committee and the Tower Committee combined resources and established a new training facility on Taylor St. The 34' towers were moved from their Longstreet location along with all Tower committee assets. The Jumpmaster School moved from itís original location at Green Ramp to the new AAS training site at Taylor St. The combining of the Jumpmaster Committee and Tower Committee resulted in more resourceful teaching procedures.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|New To The Site?||Need Information?|